Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Round Up

A couple of quick items for today.

The Turf (Valley) war is almost over, and it looks like the residents won't be very happy. Although many of their concerns were valid, the legal framework the Planning Board must use to make a decision precluded most of these concerns from being heard. It's not the best system, but it's what we've got, I guess. Also, I don't think the residents in this case -- by prolonging the proceedings and criticizing public officials -- engendered much sympathy from the Planning Board.

A new place to get fresh bread is opening in Columbia. If you're as big of a carb-freak as I am this is surely welcome news.

The General Assembly will again, for the third year in a row, consider a statewide ban on smoking in bars and restaurants. State action is the only way to truly ensure fairness in this matter, and I hope (for the sake of us in this county, at least) our representatives in Annapolis take action. My only request is that we cool off the rhetoric a bit and take the honest road (for once) in discussing the issue.

Finally, I'm not sure which party is more worthy of scorn for its reaction to the recent circuit court ruling that found that Maryland's ban on gay marriage is unconstitutional. Although I'm completely at odds with their beliefs, at least the Republicans are being honest about their discrimination. The Democrats, meanwhile, are pathetically trying to sweep it under the rug until after November's elections. After tallying the votes, both are equally worthy of scorn. A pox on both parties!

I know I'm in the minority in this state for supporting gay marriage (I think there was a poll done last year that found 48 percent opposed and 42 percent in favor of it). That's fine. I'd rather support what's right than what's popular.

No comments: