Tuesday, August 07, 2007

I'd like to teach the world to sing...

I tend to look at things from a very selfish perspective – everything's always about me – which is completely fine. Just ask any economist.

Anyway, keeping that in mind, a brief statement about immigration/multiculturalism as it relates to me: Mexican Coke is now available from at least two local merchants, Sam's Mart in Oakland Mills and Exxon in Long Reach.

Given that Sam's is basically a Latino grocer, it's not surprising to see imported sodas there. That the best version of Coke is available at an Exxon station, on the other hand, is certainly a sign of mainstreaming.

I say, bring it on! Let's erase the artificial borders (and sweeteners) that keep us from total soda enjoyment!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Coke in Latin American is definitely better. It is really drinkable and makes a great Cuba Libre, not so good with corn syrupy coke. I can't drink the stuff in the US.

With the price of corn rising due to ethanol, the price of corn syrup has increased. So far, Coke has raised its prices. Maybe they will switch to sugar? One can only hope!

John G. Boyle said...

Mexican Coke? I'm going to have to try it this weekend.

My favorite is the Coke I got in Scotland. I don't know what the difference is between it and ours (processing, water, etc.) but once I was turned onto it, I didn't want to go back!

Anonymous said...

john b- it's sugar. Most of the UK products use sugar instead of HFCS. Far superior to the US junk.

Anonymous said...

Soda pop went downhill for me after they stopped putting cocaine in it.

Digital Immigrant said...

Read your post last week and bought out the remainder of Sam's weekly stock - 4 bottles - so my boys could taste the Real Thing. We did a blind taste test and, no surprise here, they like the Mexican Coca-Cola best. Note: I usually say "Coke" but don't want anyone to misconstrue what I'm giving my children!