Wednesday, October 12, 2005

What's in a name...

The Columbia Association Board of Directors/Columbia Council has voted not to change its name.

Yes, I am well aware that there was more involved in this governance reform than just a name change. But to the casual observer, which I was for this story (hey, I can't immerse myself in all of them!), a name change is all they appeared to be debating.

Don't get me wrong, I stressed caution over this matter. However, I would urge caution to any large organization representing the interests of almost 100,000 people when seeking a change in its structure.

All that said, I still think that at this point it is more important for CA to find a better role for itself in the community. Over the last year, it has been more active in planning and other community issues, and I think it should continue in this direction, albeit under the protection and with the guidance of defined corporate polices.

No comments: