Thursday, March 02, 2006

Light day

Plenty to write about today, but no time to write. It's hard to live up to yesterday's barrage of post, alas. However, if I write less today it means I've got more to write about tomorrow and this weekend. No need to rush.

Before I sign off for now, I've got a movie recommendation. So here it is, the first installment of Flicks Hayduke Picks (in case you weren't aware, I like having regular features -- it is an easy way to fill space and it gives me a chance to use capital letters).

You should see Walk the Line. Even if you don't like Johnny Cash, which is reason enough for you and I to never be friends, the movie is still worth a trip to Blockbuster or your mailbox if Netflix is your preferred entertainment provider. (Yes, I'm biased. I'm a huge Johnny Cash fan and there's a soft spot in my cold heart for Reese Witherspoon, but that's not the point).

I do have two complaints. The movie was too short and I wasn't as impressed with Joaquin Phoenix's voice as other, more credentialed critics were. Don't get me wrong, he did a great job; it just was not perfect. But a perfect replication of Cash's voice would have been impossible. I guess the important thing is that his voice didn't detract from the movie at all, and most viewers probably wouldn't know (or care) about the difference. I'm a snob when it comes to these things, though.

So, that's it. See the movie. But first, a reminder of why Johnny Cash is truly a legend.

Well, we're doin' mighty fine, I do suppose
In our streak of lightnin' cars and fancy clothes
But just so we're reminded of the ones who are held back
Up front there ought 'a be a Man In Black
Also, here's a great quote I found on his Wikipedia page.

"I did not vote for Mr. Bush, let's leave it at that."

No comments: