Sunday, February 12, 2006

Weatherman Accountability: Initial Recap...

Bull's eye...

What can I say other than they were all wrong (at least for Columbia). According to my measuring stick, we've got around 16" in south Columbia, while as of 7:21 am the National Weather Service spotters in Columbia are reporting anywhere from 17" to 21", the highest totals in the state.

I'll have a full recap once NWS posts their handy snowfall total map, but initially it looks like those who predicted the highest totals (Bob Turk at WJZ in Baltimore, Accuweather, and the Weather Channel) will emerge as de facto winners. The biggest loser: Norm Lewis at WMAR in Baltimore who said "I just can't buy this being a big winter storm" to go along with his prediction of 2" - 4". Nice try, Norm.

I may also include NWS in the winners pool for upping its forecast to 8" - 14" Friday night, a change I mentioned in yesterday's post. NWS even stuck by this prediction yesterday, when the snow wasn't sticking and many forecasters were lowering totals--notably Bob Ryan at WRC in Washington.

Full report coming soon...

No comments: