Thursday, May 18, 2006

Thursday Round Up: No School Talk...

I'm taking a day off from my discussion with Evan about a school site in Town Center. If you want to catch up on the latest, scroll down to the next post and be sure to read the comments. I'm sure, however, that this will not be the end of it.

Who says bloggers can't make a difference? David Keelan, aka hocoblog, has been tracking closely police chief Wayne Livesay and the potential legal ramifications of his decision to hold his post after formally filing his candidacy for the District 5 council seat. Today, both the Washington Post and the Examiner ran stories about possible Hatch Act violations, and the Examiner even credited Hocoblog with raising the issue. Although I'm basically agnostic about the chief and this issue in general, I think David deserves praise for his persistence and for researching the issue so thoroughly.

Final curtain call. Theater Outback, Howard Community College's "underground" performance space (where student productions are held) is closing. However, it sounds like what the college is replacing it with will be much better.

So, what's the point of mentioning this? Well, in 1996 it was the site of the final production of my illustrious acting career when I played the skeptical, intellectual Reverend John Hale in The Crucible (talk about type-casting, huh?). Directed by Sue Kramer, as almost all of the productions in the theater were, the play -- one of the only non-musical productions I participated in -- was quite a learning experience insofar as it taught me that acting was clearly not the ideal career path for me.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed the experience immensely and am glad to see that Kramer and the students of HCC are finally getting a performance space worthy of their talents.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you mean hocoblog "deserves" praise. I don't think he "desires" praise....

Anonymous said...

It is a very stressful time within the Police Department and all of the politics only serves to distract personnel from focusing on actual law enforcement duties. Anyone who claims to be about serving Howard County would not permit what is going on to continue. It is a sad time in the proud history of our police force.

Hayduke said...

David, you are right. It's fixed now.