Thursday, June 28, 2007

Remember me to one who lives there...

Coming into work today on foot (a long story), it was hard not to notice that preparations for the resurrected Columbia City Fair are underway. I spent most of the day looking out my window at carnival rides rising from flat bed trailers and am now officially excited for at least a couple. But I'm wondering: Where are the swings?

The absence of a swing ride aside, it looks like this should be a fun weekend for Columbia. I'll probably be there for parts of each day in between all manner of other things I have going on. (One of which is moving the Little Brother from his house in Baltimore to his new place in Jeffers Hill. Yup, that's right, the Hayduke family is strengthening its [East Side!] Columbia presence.)

If rides and carnies aren't your bag but you're looking for some other way to commemorate Columbia's 40th, General Growth has reissued many of the village/neighborhood posters and is making them available for purchase at the information desk in the mall. Proceeds will benefit the Columbia Foundation, which I think qualifies as a worthy cause. Because I'm a blatant homer for Columbia, I stopped by work and picked up the Stevens Forest poster. Yeah, it's nice.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sad about the swings as well!!!
On a serious note, the posters rock and thanks for publicizing this. The money that is raised from the sale of the posters will go into the Columbia 40th Birthday Fund, which will be used to continue to support nonprofits in our community!

Anonymous said...

What's up with the lack of activity on the local blogs? I've been in HoCo for over a week now, and it seems the bloggers (and commenters) are all on vacation.

Anonymous said...

A few of the local blogs have just gone to crap anyway.

Hayduke and Wordbones are the only ones contributing meaningfully.