Sunday, June 03, 2007

Where the streets have no name...

Not content with just one site, Dan Beyers of Columbia Talk is making the rest of us bloggers look bad by starting a companion blog, Behind Columbia Talk, which he describes thusly:

This is a blog about blogging. Or more precisely, this is a blog about me trying to figure out what everyone under 30 already knows intuitively. Here is where I discuss my efforts to build an audience and navigate this brave new online world. I want to be as transparent as possible and I crave your help. Drop me a line at
Since I'm going to milk my under-30 status for as long as I can, I'll say that almost all of my non-HoCo news comes from blogs. But, for me at least, this was mostly a learned habit, and I think anyone, regardless of age and tech-savviness, can also learn to appreciate the value added by blogs. Of course, personal tastes will always dictate how much a person relies on blogs for news and information rather than traditional media.

Dan's first project on his new blog -- something he's looking for help with -- is creating an online map of Columbia's pathways, a process which is not without its share of "issues" (what else is new?).

If you're looking for something to do on this rainy, NASCAR-less Sunday, check out the project and see if there's something you can do to help.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was going to check it out, but then, I'm over the age limit. (And I don't think that 40's is the same generation as 20's)

The Sunday Sunpaper had a list of 5 things that lead to blog success, and not limiting comments was one of them.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous,

I think you may be confused. Dan Beyers of Columbia Talk (and Behind Columbia Talk) is NOT under 30, and he is not trying to limit his audience.

Of course, I may have misunderstood what you said in your comment. That happens frequently to us ancients.

Anonymous said...

Anon 635, I don't know what article you read, but one of the 5 things that lead to blog success was not "not limiting comments."

1. have a niche
2. find a voice
3. engage their readers
4. blog in groups
5. blog constantly

I believe what you are referring to is item 3, in which the article states "Successful bloggers allow readers to comment on their site and often jump into the discussions that bubble up in their comments section." This hardly translates to "not limiting comments."

Additionally, I believe that item #1, 'have a niche' overrules item 3. If "under 30 bloggers" is the niche one is after, all are still invited to comment, however, the target population are those under 30.